Monday, March 9, 2009

Rules for food.

Today, Michael Pollan has asked readers of the Times to submit their food rules. He's looking especially for generational or ethnic wisdom. The prophet Muhammad, for example, always used to say that a full belly should contain one-third food, one-third drink and one-third air.

I posted my rules on his page, (although they are pretty loose rules, I think of them more as advice):

  1. "Eat until you are not hungry anymore, not until you are full."
    That rule is something that I do more or less subconsciously.
  2. "Do not buy any food in the grocery store that you can't see first."
    This means don't buy foods in packages that aren't transparent, otherwise, you are buying on a "picture" of the food, not based on what the food itself looks like. This includes boxed crackers, chips, cereal.
  3. Everything in moderation, including your moderation.
    That includes the first 2 rules, so, a couple of times a year I'll eat an entire pint of Ben & Jerry's in an evening. And I'm proud of it.
Do you have any rules? Let Michael know, and post them here, too!

9 comments:

Baxter said...

Don't eat anything that has historically made you ill or full of regret. Even if that thing looks or is actually delicious. For example, jalapeno poppers. They are delicious but I have never eaten one and not gotten a stomach ache immediately afterward. Candy bars are also tasty but not tasty enough, in my opinion, to warrant the ridiculous amount of empty calories they contain. I save my dessert allotment for ice cream and pie which rarely disappoints.

Elyse said...

Ha ha- I break your #2 all of the time with frozen trader joe's stuff.

Baxter said...

Trader Joe's frozen food is known to be awesome. Can you make an exception for brands with a good track record?

Scott said...

Sometimes I don't even look at the food before it goes in my mouth.

Wade said...

aw crap, TJs throws #2 out the window. OK, TJs is the only exception b/c I love those turkey pot pies.

Also, jalapeƱo poppers are vaguely disappointing. I've never gotten a stomach ache, but they need better cheese.

Wade said...

Wait, rule #3 totally allows me to eat TJs w/u breaking rule #2. I love rule #3.

Kelly, Princess at Large said...

I actually had to learn rule 1 after my surgery. Having an engineered top of the line pouch means that I have to measure my food. Its extremely hard for me to determine fullness versus satisfaction. But the surgery has forced me to follow rule 2.

Unknown said...

This useful blog post congratulations. Your blog is not only rich, and very talented. Usually there are very few people, they can write not so simple articles that creatively. Keep good writing!!
Kitchen units

nosesurgery said...

I want to thank you, your efforts have been writing this article. I hope to work with your best, and in the future. In fact, you inspired my creative writing skills to start their own BlogEngine blog. The real blog is spreading its wings rapidly. You write is a good example of it.
nose surgery