Friday, January 9, 2009

Crème Brûlée

I always get crème brûlée when a restaurant has it.

Elyse and I were at a great Japanese restaurant tonight, and one thing we had was an asparagus gratin. Yes, you read that correctly, gratin. Well, the restaurant was so good, and here I am, a franco-food-a-phile at a great Japanese restaurant, gotta get that. And it was amazingly good. It was gratin all right, but so Japanese.

How was it Japanese? Well, it was the absolute minimum amount of creme and cheese without us thinking we were getting ripped off, and no where near the amount that would make it heavy, and it was still totally satisfying. And the asparagus was steamed perfectly, and the French wouldn't steam asparagus for a gratin. And the steamed asparagus was really good, too. At least those were the reasons that Elyse gave. I just shoved it all into my pie hole asap.

And then there was crème brûlée on the menu!

And I got it.

I already have to get it, anyway, but it was already this other event had just happenstanced. So I was was chompin at the bit, for sure.

The crème brûlée was very good. I loved it. The only scene in Amelie that didn't totally make we wanna wretch, was the scene where she breaks through a crème brûlée with a fork, and her description is spot on baby. I love that scene.

2 comments:

Baxter said...

1. Where IS this place? I must go there. Asparagus and gratan are two of my absolute favorite things.

2. I also love creme bruleee.

3. I love that you also hate Amelie. I thought I was the only one.

Wade said...

1) The restaurant is called Issian and it is on 45th near Woodlawn Ave in Wallingford. It is the only Japanese place that I have been to in Seattle where ~1/2 of the patrons were actually Japanese. With 2 rounds of saké our total was $76 before tip.

I should also mention that the descriptions of the food were dictated to me by Elyse, and the last half of the entry were my own personal views. (i.e. Elyse really liked Amelie!)