Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Malay-no Bowl


In college, I basically never cooked any food that didn't come frozen in a bag. Therefore, my humble entry into the world of cooking began in grad school, when I lived in a house full of hippies who actually cut up real vegetables to cook with. I was amazed! So…naturally I began experimenting for myself and eventually developed a style of cooking that resulted in a roommate of mine calling me "Iron Chef Gruel". I cooked these bland colorless meals that were all mushed together in one bowl- starch, veggies, sauce, meat- you name it, all scrambled together. This type of meal is Wade's nemesis. He named it the "Monobowl" and turns his nose up at such dishes when I attempt to cook them. What a spoiled brat, right?

Anyway, there are two exceptions to Wade's monobowl ban- Sukiyaki, and this crazy Malaysian dish I made once, Loh Shi Fun. Loh Shi Fun is this crazy mess of ingredients and flavors that somehow comes all together like a symphony and tastes wonderful (like most Malaysian dishes in my limited experience). Last night I decided to make it again after a trip to my favorite Asian grocery store, HT (I swear- after I shop there I feel kind of dirty because IT IS SO INEXPENSIVE).

Anyway, this is a fun dish to make if you have access to the ingredients. I used watercress instead of pea shoots this time (store was out of them) and rice cakes because I have yet to find pearl noodles in a store (and I'm not even sure what they are, to tell you the truth). Am I looking for the wrong thing?

I should also mention that the egg poaching step at the end of this recipe doesn't work very well. I would either just crack a raw egg on top while it is still quite hot (and if you're into that- I know I am) or poach an egg in a way you are comfortable with.

1 comment:

Wade said...

This isn't just an exception to my 'no-monobowls-at-any-cost' edict, its one of my favorite meals all time! Actually, so is the Sukiyaki.